Can one metric sum up the biodiversity impact of economic activities? How can businesses set science-based targets to reduce their impact on biodiversity and align with planetary boundaries and international goals as they do for climate (e.g. -30% biodiversity footprint by 2030)? How can financial institutions (FIs) comply and anticipate with the Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation (SFRD) and Taskforce on Nature-related Financial Disclosures (TNFD)?
After five years of development CDC Biodiversité launched in May, 2020, its biodiversity footprint assessment tool: the Global Biodiversity Score (GBS), which seeks to address these questions and make it possible for companies or financial institutions to evaluate their impact on biodiversity. The GBS has been developed with the Businesses for Positive Biodiversity Club (B4B+), a group of about 10 financial institutions and 25 companies, benefiting from extensive road-testing.
CDC Biodiversité organised a webinar to present the GBS on July 5th, 2021.
15:30 – 15:45: Welcome
- Context and overview
- Methodology of the GBS and MSA metric
- B4B+ Club
- Details about the evaluation process and GBS pricing
- GBS’s solutions for financial institutions
16:50-17:50: Case Studies Presentation
17:50-18:00: Common standard
- Watch the video recording of the event
- Slide deck: Introduction to the GBS – a tool to assess the biodiversity footprint of businesses and financial assets. Presentation of the 5th July. Download
- GBS Publications:
- Measuring the contributions of business and finance towards the post-2020 global biodiversity framework – 2019 technical update. Download.
- Global Biodiversity Score: a tool to establish and measure corporate and financial commitments for biodiversity – 2018 technical update. Report describing the Global Biodiversity Score (GBS) publication at the end of 2018 (methodology under development until 2020). The GBS is a tool to assess the biodiversity footprint of businesses and financial institutions. Download.
- Global Biodiversity Score: measuring a company’s biodiversity footprint: Report describing the Global Biodiversity Score (GBS) publication as of November 2017, in particular its « crop commodity tool » to assess the footprint of crops. Download.
- Common ground in biodiversity footprint methodologies for the financial sector – CDC Biodiversité, ASN bank, ACTIAM, Finance in Motion: Working paper to move towards a common standard for biodiversity footprint for financial institutions; also relevant for non-financial businesses as most of the concepts and methodological steps are similar. Download.
- Schneider Electric: